The powerful state of Axum was ranked by Persian philosopher and historian main as one of the four great kingdoms of the ancient world along with Persian, Rome and china.
- The tallest and oldest man-made obelisk in the world is the fallen obelisk in Axum. It is 33 meter high and weighs 500 tons.
- The second largest obelisk the same area, a solid block of granite like stone 24 meter high and weighing more than 120 tons was taken by the Italians to Rome in 1937.
- It was returned from Rome to Axum in April 2005 and re-erected to its original site in August, 2008.
- This obelisk made history by being the only mammoth stone to be moved between two continents (Europe and Africa).
- The third largest obelisk which is 23 meters high still stands in Axum.